Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 8: Sleepless Sabotage

Breakfast was the same Kroger Honey Bunches of Oats with 2% Organic Milk and 8 oz of water. I don't usually like too much variety when it comes to breakfast, but I'm not sure why. I guess it's because I tend to stray into fatty pastry territory if I eat other things...

I am D R A G G I N G this Day 8. The inadequate amount of sleep I've been getting is completely to blame.

I've always lacked discipline when it comes to sleeping. I get too easily distracted by watching TV, reading a good book, working on projects, or browsing the Internet when I should be in the dark snoozing away. Even as a kid I always slept late, (see Conan O'Brien addiction) and I've always paid for it throughout the day. 

I know I'm sabotaging a lot of my hard work by not getting enough rest, so why do I keep forcing myself to stay awake? I've been known to do my very best work in the wee hours of the morning, but why can't I channel that creativity during the DAY when I need it most? 


It's been the same pattern for years: I wake up EXHAUSTED from sleeping way too late the night before, I feel like I'm watching myself going through the work day because I'm not fully awake, I almost fall asleep after lunch, I do a bunch of jumping jacks to wake up, I leave work still sleepy, I trudge through my workout or whatever evening activity I need to do, and then I'm WIDE AWAKE when it's time to sleep! It's so frustrating!

Don't tell me I have to start another blog to discipline me into sleeping...

12:25 p.m.
Lunch was more leftovers of the chicken and spinach I made for myself Monday night. I ran out of yogurt, so I ate a handful of the energy mix I blogged about yesterday to tame my sweet tooth. Thank goodness for dark chocolate! I remembered to bring my Tervis tumbler today, so yay to having water.

Chicken, spinach, rice, and a roma tomato!
I'm already looking forward to my workout this afternoon. I was EXTREMELY sleepy this morning, but perhaps lunch perked me up a bit. My thighs are quite sore, but not to the point of excruciating pain. It's a good kind of sore. I'm hoping to run a little more today. I'm not sure if I'm ready to increase my time yet, but I will definitely try to do what I can! My arms, shoulders, and abs are pretty sore too.

I had a total of 24 oz of water while at work.

8:39 p.m.
WOW. I don't even know if I can write a complete sentence because I'm so worn out. Well, I just did, so nevermind. But yeah....I'm pooped. Nick and I had to meet with a couple of friends to discuss some potential businessy things at 7:30, so I had to hurry home from work to get my workout done.

I did my 45 minutes on the treadmill, and I attempted to run again, but my energy levels are WAY down today since I haven't been sleeping enough. I don't know if all the workouts are catching up with me or if I really do just need more sleep, but my endurance just wasn't as awesome as it was on Monday when I ran the 2 minute intervals. I WAS able to run for THREE minutes this time, but I only did one more two minute interval after that. I think I got stage fright because there were two other men in the gym. The last time I ran, I was completely alone and free to breathe as heavily as I wanted without being self conscious about sounding like a dying giraffe. I was still able to beat my distance from the last time, though! I'm pretty much saying screw the calorie counter because I KNOW that it's beYOND inaccurate... I did increase the incline to 8 for the last few minutes, so that was an added challenge, too! Overall, I'm satisfied with the work I did on the 'mill.


Since I was feeling guilty about not running more, I decided to force myself to repeat yesterday's bodyrock.tv workout again today too. To refresh your memory, I did 3 sets of 4 different exercises for 50 seconds with 10 seconds of rest between each one. The goal is to do as many as you can within 50 seconds.

Stats:

Squats
1.  26  2.  22  3.  23

Push-ups (modified "girl" push-ups)
1.  22  2.  17  3.  15

Tricep Dips
1.  23  2.  20  3.  20

Abs
1.  26  2.  25  3. 28

This is probably the most challenging workout day I've had of all 8 days, but I want to keep building up each day. 

I had another 24 oz of water with my workout.

As soon as I finished my interval training, I drove to Sertino's for my meeting with Nick and friends. Nick got me dinner (thank you, boyfriend!) which was water and a half turkey cranberry sandwich on wheat. Nick gave me his pickle since he thinks they're cucumbers soaked in evil...haha! 

I drank about 16 oz of water with my supper.

Before

After
I shall now prepare my food for tomorrow and get ready for BED. I've GOT to sleep more. 
Day 9 is tomorrow! I've got to work late, so I'm hoping I can get home early enough for me to still have the energy to do some kind of physical activity. I'm almost in the double digits, folks! I can't believe I'm doing so well! Thank you, thank you, thank you! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment