Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 23: Lunchtime Workout & Concerns

I am VERY sore today. My inner thighs, my outer thighs, and my abs are all like, "WTF!?" Too bad, little muscles. You're going to have to get used to it so you can get stronger and more awesome.

Breakfast went as usual. If you've been reading, I don't think I have to type out what it is, right? The rest of you, refer to practically every weekday post previous to this one.

Today is another day I'm working late, so I decided to use some of the comp time I've accumulated over the past few weeks to go towards an extended lunch break for a workout. I zoomed home at around 11:15 this late morning, ate lunch, and hit the treadmill.

I ate some leftover "healthy" pizza for lunch. It tasted better today than it did yesterday for some odd reason. Perhaps the flavors had the chance to soak in to the cardboardish wheat crust over night. I ate about the same amount I had for supper last night (2 small slices) and I washed it down with 10 oz of water.




Is it wise to eat before a workout? I've noticed that I feel faint and weak if I don't eat something before working out, so I make sure to at least eat a snack every time beforehand. I drink a ton of water afterwards, and I usually take my vitamin supplements afterwards also. I wonder if there's a right way or a wrong way to eating before/after a workout. I know protein is important right after to help muscles heal more quickly, but what else? Any suggestions?

As soon as I finished eating, I got dressed and headed to the apartment gym. I power walked at 3.8 mph for a good 10 minutes, and I was able to sustain a faster run today at 4.5 mph for only 13 minutes this time. I'm guessing the faster speed and the soreness of my thighs hindered me from running longer, but looking back, I wish I could have lasted longer. I have yet to beat 23 minutes of running.


I only stayed on the treadmill for 30 minutes today since I still needed to shower and head back to work. It felt like an abrupt stop compared to my usual 45 minutes, but I still felt like I had a productive and sweaty cardio workout, though! I still have to walk back to my apartment up 3 flights of stairs, so I guess you could say my workout isn't truly over until I get up there.

My knees are bothering me a little more today, especially my left one. I think that squats stress them out a lot because I haven't felt this much sensitivity in them since the last time I used the Smith Machine and did the squats with the heavy weights. I used 8 lb weights last night when I did the big set of squats. I do hope that my knee issues don't hinder me from continuing on with this journey. I try to alternate between running and biking as much as I can so that I'm not pounding on them every single day. I've run 2 days in a row, so weather permitting, my next workout will definitely be on the bike.

-------

I had a snack of multi-grain pita chips & hummus at around 4:00 this afternoon. I ate less than the recommended serving sizes (which is 9 chips and 2 tbsp of hummus). I had 6 chips, and about 1 tbsp of hummus.

-------

I'm working at/attending the LIT graduation this evening, and it does not start until 7 p.m. Nick and I are planning to meet for supper somewhere, but I haven't decided where yet. Wherever we go, I intend to eat right!

-------

11:23 p.m.
Finally have time to sit! I left the Montagne Center at around 9:00 because Nick and I waited to see his best friend Adam after graduation. It's so good to see people who've been best friends since Kindergarten still be so close like those two. They're really like brothers! Congratulations, Adam! :)

On a side note, I got a bit of scary news about my dad today. He's fine for the most part, but he definitely needs some extra prayers and/or positive vibes sent his way. I won't elaborate too much on what happened just yet because I doubt he wants the knowledge of what's going on out there for the world to know, but it does involve his health. As an only child, I can't help but worry about both of my parents quite often. I don't have any other siblings to help me take care of them, and I already struggle with the fact that I no longer live at home to be there if they need me, but going out on my own needed to be done. Their health is a big reason why I'm trying to concentrate so much on taking care of my health...

Tomorrow is a special day, and I intend to write a special post for it. Goodnight, everyone.

Day 24 shall be a day of rest... Here's to some R&R. My knee needs it!

No comments:

Post a Comment