Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 19: Mamma Mia! A New Personal Record!

12:39 p.m.

I must say, I started today pretty bummed. It's Mother's Day, and my mom hasn't been feeling well. I visited her yesterday to set up her new modem and router, and she's just feeling extraordinarily tired and down lately. I was hoping to spend most of today with her, but she begged me to just let her rest. I called her at 9 this morning to greet her for Mother's Day, but she has her phone off, so I will have to just wait until I go there this afternoon.

I made myself some gluten/wheat free blueberry waffles with fresh strawberries and 1/2 tbsp of Christa & Timmy's gathered wedding honey for breakfast. All this deliciousness for under 300 calories? Yes, please!



I'd like to try to go to church with my mom today, so I decided that I will try to bring her to church in Beaumont at 5. At least this way, we can go with my dad too since he's working days. (Yay, shift work...)

I might as well go work out, right?

It's hard to get going when you're feeling sad. All I could think while I was getting dressed was..."Why does my mom have to be sick today?" I unenthusiastically trudged to my apartment's gym, and hopped on the treadmill.

"Let's do this."

I did a 10 minute warm up of power walking at 3.5 mph. At 10:00, I covered up the time and just dashed away at a steady 4.3 mph. I need to start bringing something better to cover up the time because knowing how long I've run seems to affect how I feel. I've been using my iPod and my phone stacked on top of each other to cover it, and they keep moving from the vibrations my running causes. It's hard to focus when I'm constantly trying to keep the time covered.

The only numbers I can see on the treadmill are the distance and the calories I've burned. The past couple of times I've run, I stopped running when I burned 100 calories, but today, I made myself go past that number. I listened to my body instead. I just kept running until I felt like something might start hurting. In today's case, that never happened!

I started to feel extremely thirsty, so I finally slowed the treadmill down to take a drink of water out of my good ol' Tervis Tumbler. I moved my iPod from the clock to reveal that I ran for 23.34 minutes without stopping!! (At 33.34 for my fellow Comm & Art majors who suck at math...haha).

While I was walking during my little drink break, I still felt like I could run more...SO I DID! I started running again at 36:00 and I never stopped until the treadmill stopped at 45:00!! There was a point between 36:00 and 45:00 when I knew I wanted the distance to reach 3 miles, so I upped my speed to 4.5 mph. I was SO SO mad because I was only .3 miles away from hitting 3 miles on the treadmill!

So close!
So you know what? After I had to clear the dang timer, I FINISHED RUNNING THE .3 MILES.

Take that, glaring red numbers!!
I started out my workout feeling very sad and downtrodden, but I finished feeling victorious! I can't control the fact that my mom is sick, but I can try to help her feel better, so I shall go do just that.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mamas out there! 

Since I might get home late tonight, I will post this post now and finish it later. I just wanted to get the Mom's Day greeting out there before the day is done!

---------------


2 comments:

  1. Exercise always lifts my mood. I hope you're mom feels better soon.

    If I may ask, why were you eating gluten-free waffles? It's rare for me to see non-celiac people with gluten free food, so I'm always curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, April!

      Thanks. She's still feeling under the weather, but thanks for your kind thoughts!
      As far as the waffles go, honestly, I didn't go seeking them. They were the most affordable "healthy" waffles in the organic section. They're quite delicious!

      Delete