Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 39: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

For those of you who like Daft Punk, you're welcome for Day 39's title. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, here:


This is a great song to workout to, so if you like it, give it a dload. ;)

I woke up much later than I usually do today! I didn't get up till 10! The old me would have been OK with this, but I was actually pretty irritated with myself because I wanted to get my workout done before noon. I originally intended to hit the hike & bike again, but then I remembered that today was the Spindletop Spin, so that meant that the Hike & Bike was probably crowded with volunteers and "real" cyclists. I might actually try to join this event and bike one of those routes next year! I need to get a helmet first, though. Biking on the road really scares me, so I'll have to work up the courage to do this. I can't keep living in fear, right?

Since I rose so late, I decided to go ahead and make lunch. I bought a bunch of mustard greens last weekend, so I wanted to make Sinigang ng hipon (Sinigang with shrimp). Sinigang is kind of like a Filipino gumbo, I guess...but way less complicated. You don't have to make a roux or let it simmer for hours. Well, at least not the way I was taught to make it, haha! I guess mine is "instant" sinigang then. I just buy some tamarind soup mix packets from the Asian Food Mart, boil the mix in some water, and add the shrimp and vegetables once the water's boiling.


Shrimp, mustard greens, and okra! 
I enjoyed lunch with some Jason Mraz.

Mr. Mraz approves. haha
After I digested for about an hour, I hit the gym! I chose "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" for today's post title because I upped my workout quite a bit today! I worked out for an hour on the elliptical and then I did another 20 minute workout from sworkit.com!

According to this, I burned 524 calories in 1 hour.
I did 7,876 strides!
I downloaded Jason Mraz's new album Love is a Four Letter Word and Eric Hutchinson's Sounds Like This (Live) album today, and their music definitely made the hour go by quickly and painlessly. I always appreciate musical artists who actually write their own music, put real thought into their lyrics, and play their own instruments!

After my 20 minute sworkit workout, I had to hit the showers. My knees were sweating! Haha!

OOH, and I've been meaning to post a pic of my shiny new weighing scale! The cool thing about it is that I can take pics of my weight now without the camera adding any weight to the scale. It doesn't add any pounds again until you step off then back on. I feel like this can let me be as honest as possible with you guys, too. (Not that I had been lying with my old scale, I promise!)

I also wanted to show that I lost a couple of pounds. ;)
After my shower, I was STARVING. I chopped up some romaine and had some chicken breast pieces for supper tonight. I drizzled it with an Italian vinaigrette dressing. A variety of melons was for dessert. I was still feeling a bit hungry, so I ate 1 slice of wheat bread with peanut butter and a speck of honey as well.



And that, my friends, was my Saturday. I am now doing laundry and watching the 25th Anniversary Les Miserables concert. Am I a nerd or what? haha! Tomorrow is youth mass, so I must sleep early to be in Fannett in the morning!

Day 40 tomorrow already!? Woah!

4 comments:

  1. Good post keep it going. the Sinigang looks great. I may try to make some!

    -rafael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rafael!

      Yeah, the sinigang is great! TONS of mustard greens! You can get the tamarind soup mix at most Asian stores. The brand I usually buy is Knorr. I typically add 1 1/2 of those packets to about 6 cups of water. If you like tart/sour savory foods, this is something you'll like a lot!

      You can make it with lean pork or beef as well if you want to go that route. Let me know if you decide to try it!

      Delete
  2. I want to invite you to any of our group rides (Sat morning, Tues, Wed, Thurs nites). It would be so great to have you ride with us! We're fairly road-wise (especially compared to some of the idiots I've seen riding in Beaumont), and we always play it safe.

    You definitely need a helmet. My brother-in-law had a major wipe-out on the Hike and Bike, and he would have smashed his skull without his helmet. (He lost teeth despite the helmet...) I recommend biting the bullet and getting a cycling helmet, not one of the solid skaters helmets. They're not as cute, but the vents keep you cool.Sorry to ramble with un-asked-for advice.

    I'm very proud of your determination. I am not as self-motivated. I almost never get myself to work out; it takes lots of convincing. It's amazing how life will take so much out of you, wear you down with all that you have to deal with. You don't feel like exercising, BUT that's the very thing that will help you cope. It's helped me tremendously with depression and anxiety symptoms. When I let things slip in my health routine, I have to remind myself, like you do, that MY LIFE depends on making the best decisions I can.

    Keep up the good work, and good on ya for documenting and sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you guys bike? The thing I'm concerned most about with biking in a group on the roads is that I wouldn't be able to keep up because my bike is a LOT smaller than typical bicycles. People who aren't pedaling very hard or fast on the hike & bike trail ZOOM past me all the time even when I'm pedaling like hell because the circumference of my wheels is so much smaller. I almost wish I had a bigger bike, but then I remember how much I love mine when I'm able to fold it up in the trunk of my car and I don't have to worry about a rack or chaining it up anywhere.

      I haven't bought a helmet yet because I've only been going on the hike & bike, but after reading about your brother, I am getting one TODAY. lol Bicycle Sports isn't too far from my work, so I might go by there during my lunch break today. I've looked at Wal-Mart & Target, but I haven't been impressed with their selection.

      The determination I have is a relatively new thing for me. I used to have small bursts of motivation here and there in the past, but ever since I started blogging, I feel like I can't disappoint my readers or myself anymore. This is THE LONGEST I've ever stayed dedicated to getting healthy, and I feel like it's a true change in my life that I can't escape. I literally feel miserable when I don't make an effort anymore, and I don't want to feel that way...so I go, and I do. I've been lucky and blessed that my body is cooperating with me and my immune system has been good so far.

      Thanks for the invite and the encouragement, April! Your advice is ALWAYS welcome, so don't hold back!! I highly value your input, and I've actually learned a lot from asking you questions. You & Brad keep it up too, k?? :)

      Delete