Monday, July 23, 2012

Days 89 - 90 Being Sick Sucks

Sunday was a lovely day, but I had some concerns because I woke up with an itchy throat. I usually wake up with a dry throat in the morning, so I didn't think anything of it as the day went on.

I did a 30 minute upper body workout with free weights in my living room in the morning before church. I did 3 sets of 12 reps of 6 different lifts with 8lb dumbbells and I did 40 (modified) pushups.

For breakfast, I had 2 slices of wheat bread with peanut butter and honey with a glass of nonfat milk.

After church, I had a lovely lunch with my parents and Nick's Uncle Steve at Schlotzky's. I had a small turkey & bacon club sandwich with 1/2 a bag of barbecue chips.

The rest of Sunday was some nice girl time with my mom at the mall and at Kohl's to do a little shopping. I needed to get a few new tops because a lot of mine are actually starting to be too big on me! Yay! I found lots of amazing bargains and I didn't break my budget. My mom also got me a couple of great and much-needed items, so thank you Ma! 

When we were done shopping, we met back up with my dad at my apartment and he bought us some Chinese take-out from Great China. The 3 of us shared some hot and sour soup and an order of lo mein.

My dad also got some turon (plantains rolled in eggroll wrappers and deep fried), so I ate 1/2 of one for dessert.

It was around this time when I started feeling my throat being more itchy again. I automatically drank a ton of water and took a bunch of vitamins, but to my dismay, it did not help.

I tossed and turned all night long because my sinuses were clogged and my throat was very sore. Really? Why now? Why on the week when I'm planning to go out of state? UGH.

I woke up Monday morning sounding like a MAN because my voice was so messed up thanks to all the lovely mucous that built up overnight. A shower helped clear things up a little bit, but I wanted to get this thing before it got any worse. I went to the clinic in Fannett to see my Uncle and get some meds to kill whatever bug has crept into my body.

Before I left, I had some buttered toast and a huge glass or Red Orange juice.

My mom gave me a shot, and I got some antibiotics and cough syrup prescribed by my Uncle Rogie. I took the meds, trudged back home, and took a much needed 3 hour nap.

Nick stopped by for a little while to bring me some soup for lunch when I woke up. I had another helping of hot and sour soup and some spicy Mongolian chicken.  Hot and sour soup is definitely fantastic for opening up the sinuses.

About an hour after we ate, I went back to sleep for another 3 hours and woke up to drink a couple of glasses of water and a cup of hot tea.

I had a bowl of the other kind of soup Nick brought me for supper. (Wonton soup)

I did some research online to see if working out while you have a cold is a good idea, and it says as long as all your ailments are in your head and not your chest, it's OK. I was too sleepy to try anything today, but I might see how I feel tomorrow after a better night's sleep with the assistance of the cough syrup I got today. 

Most of me wants to stick to taking it easy, though. I do not want to get worse and ruin or cancel my trip to California by being sick! I've got 2 days to feel better. I think I can do it!! It's driving me a little crazy not being able to work out, but I know rest is necessary.