Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 156: Walking all Over Work!

Oh, September in Southeast Texas... So very sweaty and humid indeed.

There was an event at work today at the building across the street from my office, so I had to do a LOT of walking today. I can't really complain, though! I took advantage of all the moving I got do, and I was able to knock out my cardio for the day on the job! I walked back and forth from my office to the Multi-Purpose Center (MPC) a total of 8 times during the event, AND I walked all the way to the University dining hall and back, PLUS I walked all over the LIT campus one more time to hang posters that I designed for an upcoming event. WHEW! If I had to make a guess, I'd say I walked almost 2 miles at work today!

It was refreshing to say the least, but a bit unpleasant to be so sweaty in my work clothes the majority of the day. It's days like these when I'm thankful that the dress code at work can be fairly laid back because if I had to do all that walking in a business suit, I would not be a happy camper.

When I woke up this morning, I decided to start my day off on the scale just to see if this daily blogging has affected my weight loss. Success! I've lost .6 pounds since I started blogging again! It's nice to see that the scale is finally in the LOWER 135 region. It's still been stuck at 136/137, so I am glad to see an improvement.


Breakfast was some whey protein powder & fat free milk.

8 oz fat free milk + 1 scoop powder
I was able to resist some inviting kolaches and other breakfast pastries at the MPC event this morning, so I'm super proud of myself for that. 

I walked over to the University with Craig and we had a lovely lunch at the dining hall!

Wheat pasta topped with red peppers, sausage,
onions, and chickpeas with pesto + broccoli & cheese +
raw cauliflower and a huge bread stick.
Probably too many carbs, but holy crap I was starving from all the walking I did that morning! I was pretty happy to see that the Lamar Dining Hall even HAD wheat pasta! It was pretty good!

I was a bit naughty and ate a small piece of cake
and a croissant. I ended up giving that cookie
to Nick after work when he got out of his drawing
class. I promise! You can ask him!
I know, I know....shame on me for eating dessert, but at least I resisted the ice cream! Ask Craig...I SO almost got a cone, but I resisted and got a banana on-the-go instead. 

At the end of the day, I was SPENT from all the walking. I'm not used to being away from my desk that much and walking so much in the heat for so long! It was exhilarating, but exhausting! I was really hungry again when I got to my apartment, so I cooked some dinner...

skinless chicken with 2 "zucchini boats"
The zucchini boats were baked with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and topped with slices of tomato and turkey pepperoni. I regret adding the turkey pepperoni, and I ended up picking most of it off. It looks like they're overcooked a bit, but they actually tasted PERFECT to me!

I'm trying this new thing where I avoid big carbs after 5 p.m. I know that people use most of their energy during the day, and that our metabolism slows down as the day progresses, so I'm thinking I should try to avoid simple carbs (i.e. breads, rice, fruit, sugary foods in general) in the evenings to see if my weight loss can progress more quickly. Here's a groovy article about "Good vs. Bad Carbohydrates" or Simple vs. Complex carbs that can help explain my reasoning for this change:  Read about Good vs. Bad Carbohydrates

It's worth a shot! My goal is to do this 5 times a week or more. I am trying to be as realistic about trying this evening low/no carbs thing, and I know it won't be possible to do every day of the week (i.e. when I eat supper at my parents' house). It's times like these when I realize exactly HOW fortunate I am to even have this option. There are people in the world who have nothing to eat, and here I am trying like crazy to eat less. It's almost sickening....

Hmm.......I smell another blog post about that coming soon........

So since I got my cardio out of the way AT WORK today (which was flipping awesome), I did some big time ab work this evening while I watched the depressing season premiere of Grey's Anatomy. 

I chose this challenge tonight from the Internet:


For all of the planking, I held them for 3 commercial lengths each instead. I've never done a vertical leg crunch, a jack knife sit-up, or an oblique crunch before tonight. 

After I finished that workout, I did some upper body work with my 8lb dumbbells until the end of the Grey's episode. Working out while watching an hour-long TV show was pretty great! Now, if I could get decent service on my phone, I'd start doing that while running on the treadmill! Hah, some day. 

Well that's all for this evening, everyone. Great news! Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Woo!

And of course, I must end with asking you to donate to my efforts to raise funds for the Heart Walk if you can! Please click "SPONSOR ME" on the image below this paragraph. I know financial times are tough right now, but any amount would be greatly appreciated! If you cannot or would rather not donate online, please feel free to e-mail me and we can make other arrangements.



Goodnight, and sweet dreams!


No comments:

Post a Comment