Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day 252: Every Day is a Happy New Year!

It's lucky 2013! Welcome to another year!

When you step back from the fanfare that is celebrating the new year, it really is "just" another day. What makes people so excited about just another day? What is it about JUST the first day of the first month that makes people want to resolve to change some part of their lives so dramatically?

I'm not trying to take the celebration of the arrival of the new year by any means, but if you think about it, why do people start to want to change on the 1st of the year? Why not just start NOW no matter what time of year it is? After all, each day of the year is a BRAND NEW DAY.

I can't even begin to describe how many times I made a new year's resolution to lose weight and be healthier. The old me had this mindset that my attitude would change immediately with the new year, and I think this is why so many people who intend to make this resolution fail. When results are slow, when muscles and joints ache, when fatigue sets in, people tend to give up. **All of that is part of the process!! Your body is changing, so of course you will be tired!** It's only temporary! I offer my biggest kudos to those who have actually STUCK to a new year's weight loss resolution!!

The decision to become healthier and to lose weight can happen in an instant, but the process to reach your goal is definitely not an overnight ordeal nor is it something that just HAPPENS. It takes true dedication, sacrifice, will power, work, and strategy. That all might sound like it's too hard to do, but it really ISN'T if you remove the negativity from the process and if you want it badly enough.



In my case, April 25, 2012 was my "New Year." My attitude just changed, and I did what I had to do to get to where I am now. I know I've been stuck in a winter mode holiday lazy spell over the past couple of months, but I am catching it NOW and nipping it in the bud before it catches up with me. I almost feel like I'm coming out of hibernation. I refuse to let my hard work go to waste.

Today's light workout was something that almost ANYone can do:  CLEANING!  Did you know that chores can burn calories some major calories if you speed up the process a bit? Put some oomph in your vacuuming, and you'll get your heart rate up in no time. 


Of course, this is not the ideal daily substitute for a good solid 20-60 minute cardio workout such as biking, dancing, running, or a good strength training workout, etc., but it helps! 

I'm looking forward to my last couple of days off until I return to work on Monday so that I can actually BIKE again!! I don't care how cold it is tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday... I'M GOING. The rain or darkness are the only things that will stop me. 

So no matter when you start, I hope this new year gets you going and/or KEEPS you going. Cheers to 2013 and all the happiness I wish it to bring to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment