Friday, October 5, 2012

Days 163 & 164: Traditions, Reminders, & Thanks!

I have attended the Texas Rice Festival almost every single year since I was about 4 years old. My entire hometown shuts down when the TRF is going on to celebrate the year's rice harvest (I think). I've never known too much about the history of the Rice Festival, but what I do know is that it's always been a chance for us to eat too much, visit with old friends, and see some of the very interesting characters that Southeast Texas has to offer. Most of these characters are endearing, but some of them are just downright scary or like something you'd see off of one of those horrid reality shows about the South that are so popular right now.

With this in mind, I've been trying to be on my best eating behavior all week so that I can splurge a little on Saturday. Some of my high school girlfriends (and hopefully some guy friends) and I are meeting on Saturday to catch up and enjoy the food and Cajun music together. The must haves on my food list on Saturday are rice balls and a Cajun Pistol. Don't worry. I will take photos of these mystery foods on Saturday for those of you who have no early idea what I'm talking about!

Yesterday was a LONG work day for me. I had to attend the LIT Scholarship Banquet in the evening at the Elegante', so it was a chance for me to get a little dressed up and see some of the students and scholarship donors who help make my work place function!

Breakfast was yet another Activia Breakfast Blend. If you're looking for a yummy, healthy breakfast that will keep you full for a few hours, this stuff is ideal!



Since I had to work late, I didn't want to have leftovers or tupperware sitting in my car, so I picked up a chicken caesar salad from Jason's with a cup of tomato basil soup and some fruit. I ordered the smaller portion of the salad, but it was still massive!! At least I was able to restrain myself from eating all the cheese and croutons. I wasn't able to finish the soup either since the salad filled me up so much. Yay, lunch for Friday!



Seriously? WHY SO MUCH CHEESE? 
I LOVE Jason's Deli fruit.
After work, I drove over to the Elegante' for the banquet. Did a little mingling, and listened to all the speakers of the evening. It was a lovely and successful event! Dinner was pretty tasty and not too unhealthy, thank goodness.

There were salads at each place setting with what I'm guessing were gravy boats of green goddess dressing. 

Mixed greens, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes,
croutons, marinated mushrooms
The main course was pork with potatoes, a baked apple, and glazed carrots. I thought it was pretty tasty!! I was able to be strong and I didn't finish all the potatoes or the apple even though I REALLY REALLY wanted to!




The most difficult part of the meal was resisting the apple pie. I just couldn't do it...haha! I did manage to only eat about half, though...


The unfinished pie mocked me.
I got home on the later side after the banquet, so I just did a little stretching before I crashed.

Today was a nice and quick Friday because it was a bit busy! The rest of the week seemed to DRAG by, but today just zoomed by!

Breakfast was the last of my banana bread flavored Activia breakfast blend.


Lunch was my leftover Jason's Deli tomato basil soup with some veggies and the Greek yogurt ranch dip that I mixed.


I discovered a page on Facebook called The Heart Truth that has a campaign going where you print this page and write why you support preventing heart disease and upload the photo to their page. This is what I posted...


October is a tough month for Nick and me. I've always thought it was an interesting coincidence that I do most of my fundraising for the Heart Walk during this month...like she's trying to tell me something. The Heart Truth has a campaign going that asks you to print out this paper and write why you support Heart Disease Prevention, and this...she...is my main one. 

To those of you who've already donated, I can't thank you enough. If you are willing and able, please take the 
time to donate to my efforts to raise funds for the American Heart Association by clicking this link:http://heartwalk.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=997880&supid=301662124

I am also selling paper hearts for $1, and I will be happy to make arrangements to accept donations under the $25 online minimum. Anything helps! 


Sometimes I just get hit in the middle of the day by remembrances of WHY I'm doing what I'm doing. It isn't just for tinier pants. It's because of how we lost Ms Ruth. It's for my health, and it's for promoting better health in others. I can only hope that I'm making some kind of difference in someone else's attitude towards heart health.

After work, I drank a TON of water, and then I sped out to the hike & bike trail where I was able to pummel through a GLORIOUS 15 miles in 90 minutes. It was a tough ride this evening because the wind was strong, but I was able to push through it. Part of me wants to start investigating getting a larger bike, but I'd feel like I'm betraying my little folding friend...and well...money. Plus, I don't want to get a bike rack for my car. Meh, nevermind. haha Besides, I think the tiny bike makes me work harder because I have to pedal more!

When I got home from my bike ride, I could barely make it up the stairs. I took out some salmon to thaw, and I took a shower. I baked the salmon and enjoyed it with some leftover kangkong/water cabbage and half a piece of whole grain naan. I know I'm not supposed to eat carbs after 5, but the expiration date for the naan is today. I intend to eat the other half with breakfast in the morning.



After supper, I played my piano for a little bit, I called my parents, and now here I am blogging my Friday night away. I look forward to tomorrow when I can see some of my friends at the Rice Festival! It shall be a productive and fun Saturday, I hope!

And before I conclude for the evening, I just want to thank everyone who donated today! I received donations from my Uncle Obeng and Joyce, my Godfather/cousins David & Edi, and my cousins Cici and Nick!!! I also got a pledge from my far away pal, Grittney! I reached half of my goal today!! Thank you all so so so so so much!!!! 

Also, today is my Uncle Rogie's birthday! Happy birthday to you, Uncle Rogie!!!!!!

Here's Uncle Rogie with Ena!
Speaking of Ena, she's been entered in another contest on Facebook that could get her to win some money for her college education! Click this link, Like Macy's, and please vote for the cute one daily!!!!
I know I posted the link already, but here it is again:

Please click "SPONSOR ME" on the image below this paragraph. I know financial times are tough right now, but any amount would be greatly appreciated! If you cannot or would rather not donate online, please feel free to e-mail me and we can make other arrangements.


Goodnight, and happy weekend, everybody!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment