Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 295: Making Some Sacrifices

It is Ash Wednesday, and after putting much thought into what I'd like to sacrifice this Lenten season, I have decided to give up two of my biggest weaknesses for the next 47 days:  BREAD AND RICE. Part of this decision was for moral support for my friend Krystal, who is a fellow bread fiend. She is also giving up bread, so I want to help her AND myself realize that we are stronger than bread and that we can do this. Another part of this decision is, and I cannot lie, to help my weight loss process move along since I've been stuck for quite some time. I decided to add rice to my yearly sacrifice to make it a bit more challenging for myself since it is such a staple in my life. And of course, the most important decision, is for the reason for the season. Man cannot live on bread alone, right?

I made sure to get my fill of bread & rice yesterday (aka Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras) by eating a terribly delicious breakfast of French Toast from the small eatery downstairs in my work building AND 2 huge rolls of sushi for lunch/dinner...

My usual OMG & Orchid roll.
See you guys after Easter!
-------------

This morning, I had a whey protein shake for breakfast. 

Later, I was able to walk 2 miles and attend a lovely and surprisingly quick Ash Wednesday mass at the Lamar Catholic Student Center by the University during my lunch break to receive my ashes.


After mass, I had lunch with my walking buddy Craig at the dining hall. This was my largest meal of the day, which consisted of vegetable pasta, steamed veggies, pesto, and some potato salad. I am just now realizing exactly HOW MUCH bread I eat because all the items I usually gravitate towards at the dining hall have some kind of bread with it!

There were way more vegetables, but I forgot
to take a photo before I started eating.
Plus a banana to end with something sweet.
After work, I made a small supper of one piece of bangus (milkfish) and some romaine with 2 tbsp. of Italian dressing. 


I think that I can do this. It's a good test of will-power, strength, faith, and determination to do something good for yourself  whether its influence is religious, spiritual, secular, or physical. In this case, I think it's safe to say that my sacrifices this year are a bit of all those things.

A lot of my Protestant and non-religious friends think this is a silly way to be faithful, and in some cases they may be right, but to each his own. I always look forward to this time of year to reflect on many, many things, especially my blessings. When things get difficult, I will just focus more on those.

Here's to a successful Lenten season! See you on Easter Sunday, rice and bread!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I find that balsamic vinegar makes a good, low fat choice for dressings on salad. I use it myself and it has a nice, and tangy flavor to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!! Ask Nick about my balsamic vinegar addiction I had a while back! I think I ate/drank so much of it that I got sick of it!! I'll love it again, though. I don't hate it, but I need a balsamic break! XD

      Delete