Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 104: You Never Know Till You Try!

Ah, Monday. I always start Monday feeling tired, but I think my body just accepts that it's time to work again for 5 days after a few hours back at my desk.

I didn't have that great of a breakfast. I don't know why I've been slacking on eating a good breakfast lately, but I know I need to snap out of it! I had 2 prunes.

Lunch was really small since I haven't had time to go grocery shopping since I've been back from vacation. I had a handfull of pita chips with some hummus and water. I had a peanut bar, but I never got around to eating it. I'll save it or tomorrow.


I got to go for a brisk walk around campus today to hang up some flyers. I am always happy to get the chance to get up and get my heart pumping during the day because most days I am stuck inside my office sitting on my butt in front of the computer for 8 hours. I made myself walk faster than usual today because it was about to start POURING, and I didn't want to get caught in it.

After work, I waited for the rain to die down a bit, and then I headed to my apartment complex gym to greet my old friend, the treadmill! I have not run in about 3 months, so I was pretty nervous about what would happen. Would my foot cooperate? Would I be able to last for more than a minute running? Would my knee begin to hurt?

All these questions have given me anxiety since I felt the pain in my foot from the last time I had a good run, but after a lot of thought, and a lot of stretching, I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I didn't set huge expectations for myself, but I figured if my foot didn't give me any trouble in San Francisco from all the walking (and sometimes jogging on my part to keep up since Nick is quite taller than me) I would probably be OK. I even asked my boss lady (who is a marathon runner) for advice on what she thought I should do, and she thought I'd be OK...

So, I ran! And ya know what? I was able to run for 1.5 miles in 20 minutes without stopping! I don't think I even ran that well when I was running often back in April and May!!! I was able to run more later after a 10 minute break, which makes the total amount running today 1.75 miles for me. YAY! Not too shabby for a newbie runner with a gimp foot and a shaky knee. Well, at least I don't think it is! 


I know I have accomplished a lot with biking and the other exercises I've forced myself to do since April 25th, but running is something I've feared so much my whole life. When I'm able to run without fear, I feel fantastic! As someone who has struggled with weight and body image issues since the age of 9, I am finally feeling like I am more powerful than those insecurities. Being able to run over a mile is something I never ever thought I'd be able to do, and it still makes me smile knowing that I am capable of doing this now, plus more.  

For supper, I made myself a fillet of salmon with some rice and pickled okra. I am pretty much out of vegetables, so I need to go grocery shopping sometime this week.

Before
I've developed a new obsession with
Sriracha hot sauce... It's my new ketchup. hah!
A healthier alternative, for sure!
After
Yay, leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
I feel like I've lost focus over the past couple of weeks with the excitement of my trip and like I fell into a mundane routine before I left. I need to remember that this blog isn't only for documenting MY progress, but it's also to help others be inspired to get healthy and/or maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Now that things are calming down a bit,  I will have to show more discipline. I have about 10-15 more pounds I want to lose before I reach my goal weight, and I've heard that those are the most difficult to lose. If I want to achieve my goals, I must step it up with my intake and work harder. I'm finally rested and ready! 

Tomorrow is my week 15 weigh in. Bring it on.

P.S. I am thoroughly enjoying the Olympics. They're SO inspiring and they've helped me get off my but and get going! What inspires you to move? Cherish whatever it is, and get going! 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you and your hard work = Good results. You CAN DO it. You HAVE been my inspiration lately even more.

    ReplyDelete