Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 4: The Double Chinese Buffet Challenge


11:17 a.m. of Day 4...

I just finished my 45 minute cardio workout on the treadmill. This time, I added some "walking weights" (2 lbs each), and I felt far more challenged. Who knew that 4 measly pounds could make things more difficult? I can't wait to feel how much easier it will be when I shed the pounds off my body! I'm not sure if it was the addition of the weights or if I was just fatigued, but I still did my best. I really do not think that the calorie counters on these machines are accurate, though.

I also added something to today's workout that surprised me. I RAN! I actually ran (only for about 5 minutes), but the fact that I was able to last that long without feeling like I was going to die made me feel so awesome! I've always been extremely intimidated by running since I was a child. When we had field day in elementary school, I was always dead last by a long shot because I was so much shorter than everyone else, and I had terrible asthma. I pretty much avoided running as much as possible since then. I used to cry when I found out we had to run a mile for our fitness tests in middle school. I remember how embarrassed I was by not being able to run for very long without feeling that sharp pain in my side from overexerting myself....

But that was YEARS ago, and I am now a healthy, asthma free 28-year-old woman who can do anything I aspire to do! It will take some work, but I intend to work up to running more and more every day. It's not about competing with others anymore...it's about competing with myself!

Don't let this be a waste of time by eating junk!

I have not one, but TWO family/friend gatherings to attend today. Both baptisms, both for adorable baby boys, and both receptions at CHINESE BUFFETS.

Good grief. I feel as if the fitness gods are mocking me with MSG and noodles. I'm both looking forward to and dreading this challenge. We shall see if I can exercise portion control today...

------

3:54 p.m. of Day 4...

The first baptism was a success! Cute baby brought into Christianity, check. Catching up with good old friends, check. Proxy Godmother/Ninang duties fulfilled, check. Portion control....check????

It's hard to say if I overdid it or not. I definitely got more vegetables than I usually do, but I still got a couple of fried items. I was strong enough to only take small bites of them, though. The worst items I had were 1 bite of fried zucchini, another bite of one of those fried wontons stuffed with cream cheese (which wasn't very good anyway), and half of one of those fried sugary biscuits.  I wasn't impressed with the egg drop soup, so I only ate about 2 bites of it.

Before
• Pictured: 1 fried wonton, 1 fried zucchini, 1 piece of General Tso's chicken, half a plate of broccoli and green beans, half a scoop of jasmine rice, 1 chicken skewer, and 1 scoop of noodles plus 1/2 cup of egg drop soup

After
I also had a hard time resisting dessert, so I did eat some sweets...

melon, banana, and the evil fried sugar biscuit
I finished bananas, not the biscuit! Woo!
BUT... I also couldn't resist the mocha cake that Tita Wilma so fantastically bakes. I am proud to say I didn't finish the entire thing, though...

Hmm...maybe perspective shots aren't a good idea in this case.

-------

Fast forward to 10:04 p.m.

Baptism number 2 was also a success! I just got home at around 9:30. Adorable baby #2 brought into Christianity, some family catch up time, and another Chinese buffet... Deja vu, anyone?

I waited until everyone else at my table got their food since I wasn't that hungry thanks to the lunch buffet extravaganza. I got much less this time, and I only got one plate. It was VERY difficult for me to resist going back for a 2nd plate tonight, but I just kept having to telling myself, "I'M FULL." I was full, and I just watched everyone else eat their 2nd and sometimes 3rd plates in amazement... I can't deny that I was a little jealous, but I'm encouraged by what kind of will power I had tonight.

Cup of egg drop soup filled 1/3
Clearly, buffet #2's egg drop soup was better than #1's.
Smaller portions for supper. I ate everything but the salmon.
Aaand, I'm a loser for not taking an after pic, but I swear the caption in the before pic is true. (I have witnesses!) The only reason I didn't eat the salmon was because...well, it didn't taste like salmon.

• Pictured: 1 scoop fried rice, healthy portions of green beans and broccoli, I'm guessing about 4oz of salmon, and 2 coconut shrimp

I also shared a piece of cake with my daddy. I gave him 2/3 of the piece...


Overall, I can definitely say I did better than I expected. I used to GORGE myself at these buffets because (with my old way of thinking) "Why not get more than your money's worth on decent food you didn't have to cook?" I still think I could have done better, but I am not disappointed in myself. It's that absence of guilt and regret that makes me know that I did well today. I now know that I can control myself when faced with an excess of tasty offerings. I look forward to being at a place weightwise where I can splurge a little more, but until then, I know what kinds of sacrifices need to be made to reach my goals. 

I think I give myself a B- or a C on this crazy challenge today. I say this because even though I did eat mostly vegetables, they were all covered in sauces and oil with caloric contents I will probably never know. 

Day 4 is done, and I cannot wait to see what Day 5 has in store for me tomorrow! Till then, goodnight, my friends! Here's to a healthier tomorrow! 

4 comments:

  1. I have no good excuse for why I used to hate running. But one day in 2009 I decided to run. I bought shoes, I went outside, and I ran, too fast, for not very long. That pattern stuck with me for weeks. Shoes, stretch, run, too fast, not very long. Then one day, out of nowhere, I ran 4 miles. The next day, I ran 7 miles. One year later, I ran 11 miles. (yesterday, I ran 3. I'm happy with that for now)

    I can't properly explain it. Running. One day, you force yourself into your shoes, like always. You begin to run, and at some point, you realize, "Hey, I'm like...running and I'm not dying." It's amazing.

    On the food thing, sometimes we have to be somewhere where the food isn't our first choice. I don't sweat those times. When we're home, we eat good. Healthy. If I get invited to Dairy Queen, I'm eating Ice Cream. It's delicious. There is no reason to cut it all out. Running makes me happy. Ice cream makes me happy. I'll take both.

    Not at the same time.

    Calorie burning during running: Your intensity isn't everything. For every mile, whatever the speed, assume you burned about 90-100 calories. Give or take.

    Keep it up. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josh! You have inspired me also! Thanks so much for sharing your story and your advice. Best of luck with you and all your girls! Blessings from Tejas, my friend. :)

      Delete
  2. I used to get that same exact running pain (actually sometimes still do) and have never loved to run. You are inspiring me to do better. Go Melanie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sherri! I haven't had it in a long time, thankfully. Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete